FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - October 7, 2014 - The North American Guild of Beer Writers (NAGBW) is pleased to announce the winners of its 2nd annual competition for writers, bloggers, broadcasters and authors. Results of the NAGBW Awards were announced on Friday, October 3, 2014, during the Great American Beer Festival at the McNichols Civic Center Building in Denver, CO.
This year, over 140 entries, published between July 1, 2013 and June 30, 2014, were submitted to the contest in eight categories. Winners represented 13 states across the U.S. and three countries. Congratulations to all of the winners.
Best Beer and Food Writing
1. John Holl, “Roast Masters: Exploring the Art of Brewing Beer with Coffee.” All About Beer Magazine.
2. Evan Rail, “Where What Is Brewing Is a Recipe.” The New York Times.
3. Mark Dredge, Beer and Food. Dog 'n' Bone Books.
1. Oliver Gray, “Literature and Libation.” Literatureandlibation.com.
2. Bryan Roth, “This is Why I’m Drunk.” Thisiswhyimdrunk.wordpress.com.
3. Jessica Miller, “Hey Brewtiful.” Heybrewtiful.com
1. Patrick Dawson, Vintage Beer. Storey Publishing.
2. Tim Webb/ Joe Stange, The Good Beer Guide to Belgium. Campaign for Real Ale Ltd.
3. Evan Rail, Beer Trails: The Brewery in the Bohemian Forest. Self-published.
Best Brewspaper/ Free Zine Writing
1. Ken Weaver, “Getting Hopped Up -- Again.” Bohemian.
2. Jonathan Shikes, “Avery Brewing’s got good taste -- and the science to back it up.” Westword.
3. Randy Clemens, “Mark Jilg: The Craftsman.” West Coaster.
Best Magazine Writing
1. Evan Rail, “Born Again in Berlin.” All About Beer Magazine.
2. Joshua Bernstein, “Of a Certain Age.” Imbibe Magazine.
3. Aleszu Bajak, “Stemming the Rise of Barley Disease.” Beeradvocate Magazine.
Best Newspaper Writing (Paid Circulation)
1. Ronnie Crocker, “Crafting a Houston Icon.” Houston Chronicle.
2. William Bostwick, “Build a Beer Collection.” The Wall Street Journal.
3. Tom Acitelli, “Rising Hop Prices Make Craft Brewers Jumpy.” The Wall Street Journal.
Best Online Magazine Writing
1. Gerard Walen, “The Death of Hunahpu’s Day.” All About Beer Magazine (online).
2. Austin Ray, “Headbanger’s Brew: A History of Heavy Metal and Craft Beer Collaborations.” First We Feast.
3. Christian DeBenedetti, “A Brief History of Sour Beer.” The New Yorker (online).
1. Strange Brews Podcast. Strangebrewspodcast.tumbler.com.
2. Tales from the Cask. Talesfromthecask.com.
3. What’s on Tap. Kprcradio.com/media/podcast-whats-on-tap-whatsontap.
Thanks to new and returning judges representing 11 states in the U.S., two provinces in Canada and Europe. The judges for the 2014 NAGBW Awards included:
Tom Acitelli, Michael Agnew, Jeff Alworth, Ray Bailey, Steve Beaumont, Jessica Boak, Erika Bolden, Jay Brooks, Astrid Cook, Ray Daniels, Christian DeBenedetti, Pat Fahey, Oliver Gray, Steve Hamburg, Stan Hieronymus, Edward Lordan, Alan McLeod, Randy Mosher, Ryan Newhouse, Josh Noel, Evan Rail, Don Russell, Zak Stambor, Heather Vandenengel, Joe Wiebe
ABOUT THE NORTH AMERICAN GUILD OF BEER WRITERS – The Guild has members from USA, Canada, United Kingdom and Europe. Guild membership is open to all writers and content producers who cover beer and brewing, although industry and associate memberships are both non-voting categories. For more information, visit http://www.nagbw.org or follow us on Twitter @NAGBW